IIT JEE Preparation | How to prepare for IIT JEE
The foundation of scoring well in IIT-JEE is preparing well for each of the three subjects; Physics, Chemistry, and Math. Many students find Physics to be a challenge for the number of problems one need to solve together with the theory involved. One great advantage one can have by preparing well for Physics is scoring more. For this, you can start your IIT JEE preparation from 10th standard. I will tell you how this can be done.
Steps to follow to prepare for IIT-JEE Physics
Step 1 (Know the syllabus): Do you know what exactly is covered in IIT-JEE Physics? If you don’t then have a look-
- Units with dimensions and errors, experiment included
- Laws of Newton and concept of Friction
- Work, Energy and Power
- System of Particles
- Gravitation and Rotation Mechanics
- Properties of Matter
- Mechanical Waves, Sounds
- Ray Optics
- Wave Optics
- Current Electricity
- Magnetism, Magnetic effect of current
- EMI, Waves of AC and EM
- Modern Physics
After you know the syllabus, start your JEE preparation without a delay. As I said, it should start from the 10th standard. When you know your goal from the 10th, you can cover the topics that match with the above topics and get the checklist ticked. If you are in your 11th standard or 12th standard, you can start referring recommended books.
- Concept of Physics Part I and II by HC Verma
- IIT JEE Physics by DC Pandey
- Problems in General Physics by I.E. Irodov
- Physics for IIT-JEE by Resnick, Walker, Halliday
- Problems in Physics by S.S Krotov
Step 2 (Join a coaching Institute): Joining an IIT JEE Coaching can be beneficial if you want to have an advanced level preparation. You will have brain storming sessions by expert IITians or retired professors of reputed engineering colleges. You can raise doubts and clear them right away. You will have a 360-degree approach to every topic and the concepts get more lucid to understand. After all, IIT JEE preparation for Physics or for that matter Math and Chemistry are about concept and basics. If you have that covered in your first year of coaching, the road gets easier for you in the second year.
While you are attending your coaching classes, you need to maintain your home notebooks on Physics so that you know if you are in sync with the topics covered. Always come home to practice the problems done in the coaching. This way you will know where you stand. If you don’t understand something, next day, the first thing should be clearing the doubt.
Step 3 (Prepare a time slot): You can’t mix everything. You should study Physics for two hours every day. You also need to dedicate your time slot for other two subjects. Devote two hours in such a way that you have one hour for the topics and one hour for the problem-solving. You need to increase the time slot on weekends and once your school has holidays for your board examinations. The target should be to cover everything three months before your 12th board exam.
Step 4 (Priority): Now that you have your board’s book like NCERT and the recommended books. Moreover, when you are attending and IIT JEE coaching, you will come to know about more books that one can refer. The trick is to take one step at a time.
- First of all, complete your NCERT book by crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s. IIT JEE is an entrance that tests how well you know a concept. Any question under the sun should be your forte, not a specific one. NCERT books give you the concepts in the simplest manner. If you solve every problem listed there, you will find it easy to refer the rest of the books; be it any.
- For every concept, you learn, refer you recommended books.
- With concepts, do the sums simultaneously so that you know the method of applying the formulae on topics.
- All this should start before you have reached the 12th standard so that the hassle is avoided and it is a smooth path for you.
- While you are preparing for the 12th board, you need to start practising the previous years’ question papers. Together with it, you will practice more problems.
Step 5 (Charity begins at home): When you are on the verge of the completion of your JEE preparation, you need to start solving the previous years’ question papers as though you are writing it at the entrance exam hall. Use a time to keep a track of your pace. You can also ask your friends to join your for such tests at home so that it encourages you more. This way you will also know what your competency is.
Step 5 (Stay Motivated): Without motivation, you may deviate at some point. You may feel if the hard work is worth? It is, therefore important that you watch lectures and videos by experts IITians who will influence you more. You are on the path of becoming one of the best students of one of the best engineering colleges in the country. You can’t let it go so easily. Remember hard work pays.
You can also refer to motivational books for keeping you going.
The Final Step (Take care): While you are engrossed in the JEE preparation, you can’t take your health for granted. If the machine of your body works better, your brain will function effectively. For a preparation of this sort, you need both mind and energy. How can you neglect your food? Eat foods that will provide more protein and energy and have the peace of mind through meditation or Yoga.
I am sure you all have heard the phrase “Health is Wealth”. Don’t underestimate the power of your health.
The time is ticking and you got to fill big shoes. Start your preparation today!
Author Bio: – Aditya Singhal is the co-founder of www.askIitians.com, an online coaching platform for IIT JEE, Medical and School Entrance exams. It is his passion and vision to help the engineering and medical aspirants that he along with his co-founder started with this venture. He had worked with Kurt Salmon Associates, a reputed American Management Consultancy.