IIT JAM 2020 Notification Out!
IIT JAM 2020 Notification: Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM) is 2020 conducted by Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and IISc Bangalore. JAM also is known as the Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. Programs. This year, IIT Kanpur is conducting JAM 2020. It is a national level exam, which is conducted through online mode. The JAM exam dates for the exam is out and it will be held on February 09th, 2020. The JAM online registration starts on September 05th, 2020. There is no age limit in the exam but applicants need to fulfill eligibility criteria. Applicants can check out the complete details like important dates, admission procedure, eligibility, participating institutes, application procedure, admit card, merit list and more for IIT JAM 2020.
IIT JAM 2020
IIT JAM 2020 will be conducted for 20 subjects offered by the participating IIT’ IIT Kanpur will release the notification related to JAM 2020 on August 2019.
The 19 participating institutes offer various programs such as M.Sc., Joint M.Sc.-PhD, M.Sc. Ph.D. Dual Program, Integrated Ph.D., M.Sc.-M.Tech, M.Sc.-M.S. (Research), and other Postgraduate Programs.
What is the IIT JAM 2020?
Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test for MSc (IIT JAM 2020) has invited applications from eligible applicants for admission to Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programs at IIS Bangalore & M.Sc. (2 Years), Joint M.Sc.-PhD, M.Sc. – Ph.D. Dual Degree, M.Sc. – M.Tech. M.Sc. – M.S. (Research)/PhD Dual Degree and Other Post – Bachelor’s Degree Programs for the academic year 2020-21.
The main objective of JAM is to revive and consolidate ‘Science’ as a career option for bright students from across the country and provide them a single step opportunity for admission to some of the postgraduate programs offered at the IITs.
In due course, JAM is also expected to become a benchmark for normalizing undergraduate level science education in the country.
IIT JAM 2020 Courses Offered at:
Admission to M.Sc. (2 Years), Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D., M.Sc.- Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programs at Indian Institutes of Technology Bhubaneswar, Bombay, Delhi, Dhanbad, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Patna, Roorkee, Ropar, Varanasi & Integrated PhD Programs at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
The following are the full-time M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor’s Degree Programs at different IITs and Integrated Ph.D. Programs at the IISc to which admissions shall be made on the basis of JAM 2020.
IIT JAM 2020 Important Dates
- Commencement of Online Registration and Application on JAM 2020 website: September 05th, 2019
- Last Date for Online Application Submission and Uploading of Documents on the website: October 08th, 2019
- Date of JAM Admit Card Download: 2nd week of January 2020
- Date of Mock Test Link: 2nd week of January 2020
- JAM 2020 Exam Date: February 09th, 2020
- Announcement of the Results of JAM 2020: March 20th, 2020
- Submission of Application Form for Admission on the JAM 2020 Website: To be announced later
- Last Date for receipt of the request for change of category in proper format/ rectification of defective documents at IIT Kanpur: To be announced later
- Declaration of First Admission List: To be announced later
- Declaration of Second Admission List: To be announced later
- Declaration of Third and Final Admission List: To be announced later
- Closure of Admissions through JAM 2020: To be announced later
JAM Participation Institutes
- IISc Bangalore (www.iisc.ernet.in)
- IIT Bhubaneswar (www.iitbbs.ac.in)
- IIT Bombay (www.iitb.ac.in)
- IIT Delhi (www.iitd.ac.in)
- IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (www.iitism.ac.in)
- IIT Gandhinagar (www.iitgn.ac.in)
- IIT Guwahati (www.iitg.ernet.in)
- IIT Hyderabad (www.iith.ac.in)
- IIT Indore (www.iiti.ac.in)
- IIT Jodhpur (www.iitj.ac.in)
- IIT Kanpur (www.iitk.ac.in)
- IIT Kharagpur (www.iitkgp.ac.in)
- IIT Madras (www.iitm.ac.in)
- IIT Patna (www.iitp.ac.in)
- IIT Roorkee (www.iitr.ac.in)
- IIT Ropar (www.iitrpr.ac.in)
- IIT Varanasi (www.iitbhu.ac.in)
- IIT Bhilai (www.iitbhilai.ac.in)
- IIT Palakkad (www.iitpkd.ac.in)
JAM score will also be used by other centrally funded technical institutions like NITs, IIEST Shibpur, SLIET Punjab and IISERs for admission to their programs.
Check out IIT JAM Eligibility 2020. The applicants who qualify in JAM 2020 shall have to fulfill the following Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for admissions to IITs.
All applicants admitted through JAM should have a Bachelor’s degree.
In the qualifying degree, the aggregate marks or CGPA/CPI without rounding-off (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) should be at least 55% or 5.5 out of 10 for General/OBC (NCL) category applicants, and 50% or 5.0 out of 10 for SC/ST and PwD category applicants.
If CGPA/CPI is on a different scale, it would be linearly mapped to a scale on 10. For Applicants with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s). Proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the Admitting Institute should be submitted by 30th September 2019.
At the time of admission, all admitted applicants will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of admission, the admitted applicants may also have to undergo a Physical Fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute.
In case an applicant is not found physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be canceled.
- It will entirely be the responsibility of the Applicant to prove that he/she satisfies the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for Admission.
- The Admitting Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of an applicant who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force.
Test Papers & Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQS)
JAM 2020 Exam will be conducted in seven subjects, also referred to as Test Papers;
- Biotechnology (BT),
- Chemistry (CY),
- Geology (GG),
- Mathematics (MA),
- Mathematical Statistics (MS) and
- Physics (PH)
Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) for admission to various Academic Programs covered under JAM 2019 are given in Appendix-II, along with the names of the Test Papers and their Codes and the Institute offering the Academic Programs.
IIT JAM 2020 Admission Procedure
Only applicants who qualify in JAM 2020 (whose names appear in the Merit List) will be eligible to apply for admission to any of the academic programs available at IITs (refer to Appendices-I & II of this Information Brochure).
Based on the test paper(s) qualified, an applicant can apply to one or more academic programs covered under that test paper(s), subject to fulfillment of the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and the Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the Admitting Institutes.
For the academic session 2020-21, the following admission procedure shall be followed for all the Programs at IITs covered under JAM 2020. Applicants are also advised to refer to the JAM 2020 website for latest updates.
After JAM 2020 results are announced, a qualified applicant should have to apply ONLINE only using the prescribed Admission Form available at JAM 20209 website https://jam.iitk.ac.in, irrespective of IITs where the admission is sought.
The period for submission of online Admission Form is the 2nd week of April 2020 to 4th week of April 2020.
IIT JAM 2020 Exam Pattern of Test Papers
Check out the JAM Exam Pattern 2020. The JAM 2020 Exam for all the seven test papers will be carried out as Online Computer Based Test (CBT) where the applicants will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen.
For all the seven test papers, the duration of the exam will be of 3 hours. The medium for all the test papers will be English only. There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks.
The entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B, and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
Section-A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two mark each. Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Applicants can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
Section-B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) is correct out of the four given choices.
Section-C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two mark each. No choices will be shown for these types of questions.
Mobile phones or any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited inside the examination hall. Charts, graph sheets, and tables are also NOT allowed inside the examination hall.
The JAM 2020 online Exam will be held on 09th, February 2020 (Sunday) in two sessions as the Computer Based Test (CBT). The schedule for different Test Papers of JAM 2020 is given in below.
- Session 1 will include Biotechnology (BT), Physics (PH), and Mathematical Statistics (MS). Session II will include Mathematics (MA), Chemistry (CY) and Geology (GG).
- JAM 2020 Exam will be conducted for the six test papers, namely: Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) and Physics (PH).
Test Paper Schedule
- Session-I: 9.30 AM to 12.30 Noon (Papers – Biotechnology (BT), Physics (PH), Mathematical Statistics (MS))
- Session-II: 2.30 PM to 05.30 PM (Papers – Mathematics (MA), Chemistry (CY) and Geology (GG))
IIT JAM 2020 Exam Cities /Centers
The JAM 2020 Exam is conducted in collaboration with eight zones. The names of these eight zones and the locations of Exam Cities/Towns for JAM 2020 are listed zone-wise. Applicants must specify their first, second and third choice cities at the time of applying for JAM 2020 exam.
- IISc Bangalore [Bengaluru, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangaluru (Mangalore), Palakkad, Thrissur]
- IIT Bombay [Ahmedabad, Goa, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Vadodara]
- IIT Delhi [Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, New Delhi]
- IT Guwahati [Asansol – Durgapur, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Siliguri]
- IIT Kanpur [Agra, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi]
- IIT Kharagpur [Bhubaneswar, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Ranchi, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam]
- IIT Madras [Chennai, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati&Warangal]
- IIT Roorkee [Dehradun, Jalandhar, Kurukshetra, Mohali, Noida, Moradabad, Roorkee]
IIT JAM 2020 Application Procedure
- The Information Brochure and all other Information related to JAM 2020 will be updated time to time on the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in.
- Applicants can apply for JAM 2020 only through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) link available at the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in.
- The facility for Online Registration and Application will be available through the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in from 05th September 2019.
- The applicant has to first register on JOAPS website, by providing his/her name, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password.
- The applicant must give an E-mail address that he/she uses and checks frequently, as all communication to the applicant from JAM 2020 will be sent to this E-mail address. The applicant must not use somebody else’s E-mail address and only one applicant can be registered with one E-mail address.
JAM 2020 Fee Details
- One Test Paper – Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.750/-
- Two Test Paper – Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.1050/-
- All Others [One Test Paper] – Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.1500/-
- All (Two Paper Test)-(All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.2100/-
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- JAM 2020 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). Applicants seeking admission to the academic programs covered under JAM 2020 need to appear in JAM 2020. There is no age restriction.
- JAM 2019 Examination will be held on 09th, February 2020 (Sunday) as a Computer Based ONLINE Examination
- For admission, foreign nationals are required to satisfy the rules and regulations of the admitting Institute(s) pertaining to foreign students. For further details, they are advised to contact the concerned Admitting Institute(s)
- To apply for admission to the desired program, an applicant is required to qualify in the relevant Test Paper and also satisfy the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the respective Academic Program
- Applicants who have either appeared or are due to appear in the final exam of their qualifying degree in 2020 are also eligible to appear in JAM 2020. By qualifying in JAM 2020, applicants can apply for a provisional admission subject to the condition that: (a) all parts of their final exam shall be completed by the date of registration of the Admitting Institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying degree with required eligibility, as specified by the Admitting Institute, should be submitted by 30th September 2020.
- On the basis of performance in JAM 2020, for each test paper, separate merit lists will be prepared for General (GEN), OBC Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), SC, ST, and Persons with Disability (PwD) category applicants.
- In all matters concerning JAM 2020, the decision of the Organizing Institute or the Organizing Chairman, JAM 2020 will be final and binding on all the applicants.
IIT JAM Admit Card 2020
- JAM Admit Card, bearing the Applicant’s Name, Registration No., Photograph, Signature and Name(s) and Code(s) of the Test Paper(s) applied, along with the Name and Address of the Test Centre allotted, will be available for download from JOAPS website from 1st week of January 2020 until the Exam Date.
- IIT JAM Admit Cards will not be sent by post/Email.
- Applicant should carefully examine the Admit Card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the Applicant should inform the Organizing Chairperson, JAM 2020, IIT Kanpur immediately.
- A printout of the downloaded Admit Card must be brought to the Test Centre along with the original and valid photo identification.
- Rank List For each test paper in JAM 2020, an All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned to all the appeared applicants based on their performance in the test paper.
- The results (merit lists) will be declared on 20th March 2020.
- The results will be available on the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in. For each test paper, an All India Merit List will be prepared based on AIR.
- The number of applicants included in the All India Merit List will depend on the total number of seats available in each category (OBC-NCL, SC, ST, and PwD) in a given subject.