JEE Main 2020 (January) Notification and Dates
JEE Main 2020 (January): The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI) has established National Testing Agency (NTA) as an independent autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization under Society Registration Act 1860 for conducting efficient, transparent and international standards tests in order to assess the competency of applicants for admissions to premier higher education institutions. The Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India has entrusted the responsibility of conducting Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) (Main) to the NTA from 2020 onwards.
Admission criteria to Undergraduate Engineering Programs at NITs, IIITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI), Institutions funded by participating State Governments, and other Institutions shall include the performance in the class 12/equivalent qualifying Examination and in the Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main). The Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) of JEE (Main) will also be an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), which the applicant has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programs offered by the IITs.
JEE Main 2020 details
- Name of Examination: Joint Entrance Examination Main
- Commonly Known As JEE Main
- Conducting Body: National Testing Agency (NTA)
- Examination Level: All India Entrance Exam
- Category: Undergraduate Examination
- Mode of Examination: Computer-based test
- Number of Attempts: Twice in a year
- Duration of Exam: 3 Hours
JEE Main 2020 Important Dates (Tentative)
Check out JEE Main 2020 Important Dates for First Attempt and Second Attempt
|First Attempt||Second Attempt|
|Online submission of Application Form upto 11.50 p.m. (including uploading of photograph and signature)||01st week of September 2019 to 4th week of September 2019||08th February 2020 to 07th March 2020|
|Date for the successful final transaction of fee (through Credit/Debit Card/ Net Banking up to 11.50 p.m. and through e-challan upto bank hours)||01st week of September 2019 to 01st October 2019||08th February 2020 to 08th March 2020|
|JEE Main 2020 Exam Date||Between 06th January 2020 to 20th January 2020||Between 06th April 2020, to 20th April 2020|
|Declaration of Result on NTA’s website||By 31st January 2020||By 30th April 2020|
JEE Main 2020 Overview
The JEE Main 2020 will be conducted twice before admissions in the next academic session.
The students will have the following benefits of the new pattern:
- This will give one more opportunity to the students to improve their scores in the examination if they fail to give their best in the first attempt without wasting their whole academic year.
- In the first attempt, the students will get a first-hand experience of taking an examination and to know their mistakes which they can improve while attempting for the second time.
- This will reduce chances of dropping a year and droppers would not have to waste a full year.
- If anyone missed the examination due to reasons beyond control, then he/she won’t have to wait for one full year.
- The student’s best of the two NTA scores will be considered for preparation of Merit List/ Ranking.
- The first attempt of JEE Main 2020 will be held in January 2020 whereas the second attempt will be held in April 2020. The test will be held on different shifts/dates in both the attempts. The NTA will release the application form of JEE Main 2020 for the first attempt in September 2019 and for the second attempt in February 2020.
- The result of the first attempt of JEE Main 2020 will be declared by 31st January 2020 and for the second attempt by 30th April 2020.
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted in the following mode:
- Paper-1 (B.E. /B. Tech.) in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only.
- Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B.Planning): Mathematics- Part I and Aptitude Test-Part II in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only and Drawing Test –Part III in “Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on the drawing sheet.
Type of Examination
- JEE Main 2020 shall have two papers, Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) and Paper-2 (B. Arch. /B.Planning). Applicants may take Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.), or Paper-2 (B. Arch. /B.Planning.), or both as per the course(s) they are seeking admission to.
Check out more Engineering Entrance Exams
Subject combinations for each paper, type of questions in each paper and mode of examination is given in the table below:
|Subjects||Type of Questions||
Mode of Examination
|Paper-1 (B.E./B.Tech.)||Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry||Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with equal weightage to Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry||“Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only|
|Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B.Planning) (to be attempted in one sitting)||Mathematics – Part I
Aptitude Test – Part II
Drawing Test – Part III
|Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Questions to test drawing aptitude
|“Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only “Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on Drawing sheet|
The requirement of papers for different courses is given in the table below:
|All other undergraduate courses (B.E. /B. Tech.)||Paper-1|
|B.ARCH/B. PLANNING (At Institutions other than IITs)||Paper-2|
Choice of Medium of Question Papers
- The medium of Question Paper shall be in English, Hindi and Gujarati.
- The option of question paper language should be exercised while filling up the Application Form and it cannot be changed at a later stage.
Eligibility for JEE Main 2020
For appearing in the JEE (Main) examination there is no age limit for the applicants. The applicants who have passed XII examination in 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 irrespective of their age can appear in JEE (Main) Examination 2020. The applicants should satisfy themselves about the eligibility of age limit requirements of the Institutes in which he/she is desirous of taking admission.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE)
Only those applicants who have passed their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in both January 2020 and April 2020 JEE (Main) 2020 Examination.
Applicants who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2017 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2020 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main) 2020.
Number of subjects in the Qualifying Examination (QE)
Applicants must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th/qualifying examination in order to be eligible for writing JEE Main 2020. The applicants who have taken four subjects are not permitted to write JEE (Main) 2020 and if such applicants appear in JEE Main 2020 by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
Check out more Entrance Exams
JEE Main 2020 Application procedure
In order to appear in JEE (Main) 2020, the applicants are required to apply only online as per procedure detailed below:
Provision of AADHAAR
- The use of Aadhaar for the applicants of JEE (Main) 2020 will result in accuracy of the applicants’ details. This will also help in ascertaining the identities of the applicants at the examination centers in a convenient and hassle-free manner. Aadhaar obviates the need for producing multiple documents to prove one’s identity.
- The provisions of the Aadhaar Act and Regulations under the Act have come into effect from 14th September 2016 and notifications to this effect have been published in the Official Gazette. Section 57 of the Aadhaar Act 2016 permits the use of Aadhaar number for establishing the identity of an individual for any purpose pursuant to any law or any contract to this effect.
- NTA hereby notifies the following:
- Applicants, who are in possession of Aadhaar, may enter Aadhaar number, name, date of birth & gender in the online application for JEE Main 2020 for the purpose of his/her identity and authentication thereof.
- Applicants not yet enrolled for Aadhaar may make an application for Aadhaar enrolment in case he/she is entitled to obtain Aadhaar as per section 3 of Aadhaar Act. Such applicant may visit any Aadhaar enrolment center (list available at www.uidai.gov.in) to get enrolled for Aadhaar.
- The applicants who have enrolled for Aadhaar and have not received Aadhaar should enter 14 digits Aadhaar Enrolment ID (Including slash) printed on the Aadhaar enrolment slip at the time of filling the online application form for JEE (Main) 2020.
JEE Main 2020 Applying Online
The online submission of particulars, uploading of scanned photograph and signatures may be made at JEE (Main) website. The applicants should supply all the required details while filling up the online form. On submission of details, a Confirmation Page with Application Number shall be generated.
Applicants are required to take the printout of Confirmation Page and keep it for reference. The Confirmation Page is not required to be sent to NTA. The application fee payment can be made by credit/debit card/Net Banking/e-challan using SBI-MOPS facility of State Bank of India.
Instructions for Applying Online
Before filling up the JEE Main 2020 application form the applicant should have a scanned image of his/her recent photograph and signature in running hand. These scanned images are to be uploaded during the submission of the application form. The photograph should be colored or black/white (but clear contrast) with the name of the applicant and date of taking the photograph printed on it as shown. It should be without cap or goggles. Spectacles are allowed. Polaroid photos are not acceptable. Applicants with unclear photograph are liable to be rejected. Applicants may keep 6-8 identical photographs in reserve for use at the time of entrance examination, Seat Allocation Process and Admission.
JEE Main Syllabus 2020
The JEE Main syllabus will contain topics from the 11th and 12th class of CBSE, ICSE and other state boards. Syllabus for paper 1 will contain physics, chemistry and mathematics.
Paper 2 syllabus will contain mathematics, aptitude and drawing sections. The detailed JEE Main 2019 syllabus is given below:
JEE Main Paper 1 Syllabus:
- Mathematics: Sets, relations and functions, Matrices and determinants, Mathematical induction, Sequences and series, Integral calculus, Binomial theorem and its simple applications, Vector algebra, Statistics and probability, Trigonometry, Complex numbers and quadratic equations, Mathematical reasoning, Permutations and combinations, etc.
- Physics: Physics and measurement, Thermodynamics, Rotational motion, Laws of motion, Electronic devices, Oscillations and waves, Current electricity, Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents, Optics, Electrostatics, Kinematics, Work, energy and power, Gravitation, Properties of solids and liquids, Kinetic theory of gases, etc.
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry: Some basic concepts in chemistry, Atomic structure, Chemical thermodynamics, Equilibrium, Chemical kinetics, States of matter, Chemical bonding and molecular structure, etc.
- Organic Chemistry: Purification and characterization of organic compounds, Chemistry in everyday life, Organic compounds containing halogens, Organic compounds containing nitrogen, Some basic principles of organic chemistry, etc.
- Inorganic Chemistry: Classification of elements and periodicity in properties, Block elements (alkali and alkaline earth metals), D – and f – block elements, Environmental chemistry, Hydrogen, Block elements group 13 to group 18 elements, etc.
JEE Main Paper 2 Syllabus:
- Part I: Awareness of persons, places, Buildings, Materials, Visualising three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings, Visualising, Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal), etc.
- Part II: Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, building forms and elements, color texture, harmony and contrast, Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union, subtraction, rotation, creating two dimensional and three-dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms, etc.
JEE Main 2020 Admit Card
The JEE Main Admit Card can be downloaded from JEE Main 2020 website from 3rd week of December 2019 onwards. The applicants are advised to download they admit cards from JEE (Main) website only. The Applicants are also advised to regularly see JEE (Main) website for updates.
The Admit Card is issued provisionally to the applicant subject to his/her satisfying the eligibility conditions. The applicant has to download his/her Admit Card from the NTA’s website w.e.f. 03rd week of December 2019 onwards and appear for the examination at the given Centre on Date and Shift as indicated in their Admit Card.
Procedure to be followed during the conduct of Examination:
Applicants MUST bring the following documents on the day of examination at the test center. Applicants who will not bring these will not be allowed to sit in the examination. Print copy of Admit Card downloaded from NTA’s website.
One passport size photograph (same as uploaded on the Online Application Form) should be taken for pasting on the specific space in the attendance sheet at Centre during JEE (Main) Examination.
Anyone of the authorized photo IDs (must be original, valid and non-expired) – PAN card/ Driving License/ Voter ID/ Passport/ Aadhaar Card (With photograph)/ Aadhaar Enrolment No/ Ration Card
PwD certificate issued by the Competent Authority, if claiming the relaxation under PwD category
The applicants shall report at the Examination Centre two hours before the commencement of the examination so as to complete the frisking and registration formalities well before the time. The registration desk will be closed 60 minutes prior to the examination.
Applicants shall not be permitted to enter the Examination Center after 8:30 a.m. in the first shift and after 1:30 p.m. in the second shift. The applicants are advised to read the instructions on the admit card carefully and follow them during the conduct of the examination.
Important Instructions for Computer Based Test (CBT)
- A sample/mock test will be available on JEE (Main) 2020 website: www.jeemain.nic.in in October/November 2019 for practice purpose and to give the applicant look and feel of the Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The important instructions to be followed for Computer Based Test (CBT) will be available on JEE (Main) 2020 website: www.jeemain.nic.in in October/November 2019.
- All calculations/writing work are to be done only in the rough sheet provided at the center in the Examination Room/Hall and on completion of the test applicants must hand over the rough sheets to the invigilator on duty in the Room/Hall.
- During the examination time, the invigilator will check Admit Card of the applicant to satisfy himself/herself about the identity of each applicant.
- The applicants are governed by all Rules and Regulations of the NTA with regard to their conduct in the Examination Hall. All cases of unfair means will be dealt with as per rules.
- The applicants must sign and paste the photograph on the Attendance Sheet at the appropriate place.
- JEE Main Application Form 2020
- JEE Main Computer Based Online Exam FAQ
- JEE Main Exam Centres and Schedule
- How Should I Prepare for IIT-JEE Physics?
- Mindset Required for clearing JEE Exam