Postgraduate Merit Scholarship Program 2019 for University Rank Holders
UGC PG Merit Scholarship 2019: UGC (University Grant Commission) has invited online applications to Post Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders 2019 session. The last date to apply online is November 15th, 2019. Check out the complete details like dates, application form, eligibility criteria, fees and more about PG Merit Scholarship 2019-20.
Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme is for non-professional courses only for regular students. The selection will be purely on merit basis. The awardees under this scheme can pursue their Post-Graduate programme in any area of specialization and also in any institution of higher learning in the country recognized by UGC. This scholarship is exclusively for the aforesaid courses only. Professional Courses are not applicable under this scheme.
Check out more Scholarship Programs
UGC PG Merit Scholarship 2019 Important Dates
- Scholarship closing date: October 31st, 2019
- Last date for defective verification: November 15th, 2019
- Last date for institute verification: November 15th, 2019
The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
1. Life Sciences, 2. Physical Sciences, 3. Chemical Sciences, 4. Earth Sciences, 5. Mathematical Sciences, 6. Social Sciences, 7. Commerce, 8. Languages.
Higher Education has had played a very vital role in the history of nation building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country. It obviously calls for a multipronged strategy. There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education. It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing a Postgraduate education in our institutions of higher learning.
To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring in talented boys and girls in the field of Postgraduate education by way of providing them good incentives in the form of scholarships. The UGC, therefore, introduced a Postgraduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University undergraduate rank holders.
The scholarship may be tenable for a period of two years to enable the rank holders of each university at undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s Degree. All universities/degree awarding institutions would be required to issue rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com.
The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post graduate studies besides strengthening the basic subjects at Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate programme in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
Check out National Scholarship Portal
- The total number of scholarships in the first academic year would be 3000. The duration of the scholarship will be 2 years only. The tenure of the scholarship will not be extendable beyond 2 years, under any circumstances.
- Each awardee, under the scheme, will be provided a scholarship of Rs.3100/- p.m. for a period of two years (i.e. 10 months in a year); no other additional grants will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
Eligibility Criteria for UGC PG Merit Scholarship 2019
The First & Second Rank holders at UG level and admitted in any Postgraduate Course would be awarded the scholarship. The students will have to submit the proof of their merit position at the undergraduate level as well as their admission in postgraduate courses.
- The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only.
- Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
- The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships: 1. Life Sciences 2. Physical Sciences 3. Chemical Sciences 4. Earth Sciences 5. Mathematical Sciences 6. Social Sciences 7. Commerce 8. Languages
- Before verifying applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
- The first and second rank holders (Not position holders) would be considered from Universities/ Institutions and non-affiliated/ autonomous colleges according to the number of students who have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level as per following table.
- Affiliating Universities (State/ Central): 100; Deemed Universities/ Private Universities / 25 Autonomous Colleges / Non-affiliated colleges
Check out Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2019
UGC PG Merit Scholarship Application Form 2019
- Applications will be invited once a year on the National Scholarship Portal of the Government of India, visit the homepage of the NSP website www.scholarships.gov.in. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
- The concerned University/ Institute should verify that the applicant is a first or second rank holder out of the specified total number of students who appeared in the examination at the undergraduate level as specified in the guidelines.
Documents to be submitted at the time of application:
(i) The applicant is required to submit an application in the prescribed format, (ii) Attested copy of university undergraduate-degree, (iii) Matriculation certificate, iv) A verification certificate by the institute where, students has taken admission to Ist Year PG Course, (v) Prescribed format of provisional Rank certificate from the university / autonomous college.
Certificate to be submitted by the concerned University/ Institution to the UGC: Every year University / Institution will submit a compiled statement for the following:
- Statement giving the names of the students selected for the scholarship along with their receipt of scholarship amount.
- Progress Report to be submitted after the first year of the award giving percentage of marks obtained by the applicants.
- Utilization certificate.
Check out more UGC Scholarships