University of Madras PhD Admission 2019: Madras University has invited online applications for admission to PhD Degree from applicants for Full-Time/ Part-Time Program in the departments of the University, Colleges affiliated to this University and recognized research institutions for January 2019 session. Check out the University of Madras Phd Admission 2019, application form, eligibility, application dates and more about Madras University PhD Admission 2019.
Madras University PhD Program Details
- The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is awarded to applicant who, as per these regulations, has submitted a thesis on the basis of original and independent research in any particular discipline or involving more than one discipline (inter-disciplinary) that makes a contribution to the advancement of knowledge, which is approved by Board of examiners as require.
- To facilitate a time-bound approach admission to PhD Program, admission is made four times in a year (i.e.) in January, April, July and October of every calendar year. Applicants should submit their applications on the first working day of a quarter viz January, April, July and October.
- The teachers from university departments/affiliated colleges are also informed that they should apply for admission to PhD Program in the above sessions only.
Check out Phd Admission 2019
Duration of the Program
- The PhD Program shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including coursework for both full-time and part-time applicants and a maximum of six years.
- No applicants shall be permitted to submit the thesis after the maximum period of Six Years. There is no provision for either Extension or Re-Registration.
University of Madras PhD Eligibility Criteria
The pattern of Study 10+2+3+2 (or) 11+1+3+2 are eligible for admission to do PhD Program.
- Applicant should have obtained a Master’s Degree with 55% marks in the qualifying examination (PG Degree). For SC/ST applicants and for applicants who have completed the PG degree before 1991, the minimum can be only 50% for admission to the Ph.D. Program.
- According to the Government Order, the M.Phil Degree obtained by the applicants through the correspondence / Distance Education / Open University System prior to 3rd April 2009 i.e., the date of the Government order only will be considered as eligible and the M.Phil degree obtained through the Correspondence / Distance education / Open University System after 3rd April 2009 are not eligible.
- Regular teachers of affiliated college with two years of teaching experience after P.G. Degree are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-time) Program.
- Regular teachers of Higher Secondary School, Polytechnic with four years of experience after the qualifying (PG) degree are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-Time) Program.
- Part-time (Internal) applicant employed other than as a teacher in a permanent job in a registered firm/Institution, within the territorial jurisdiction of the University with a minimum of FOUR YEARS of total working experience, after the qualifying (PG) degree and satisfying the rules framed separately by the syndicate from time to time are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-Time) program.
- Part-time (External) applicants employed as a teacher / scientist or in any other related capacity (as recommended by the Selection Committee of the concerned department) in National / State level Institutions, Research and Development (R&D) Centres / Laboratories and Institution outside the territorial jurisdiction of this University, in India, who are permitted by the respective organization for pursuing research leading to the PhD of this University on a Part-Time (External) basis, while continuing in employment, may be permitted to register for the PhD Program on a part-time basis as external applicant with two years of teaching experience after acquiring qualifying degree.
Relaxation of Marks
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/Differently-Abled or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September 1991.
- The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
University of Madras PhD Admission Procedure 2019
The admission shall be based on the criteria notified by the Institution, keeping in view the guidelines/norms in this regard issued by the UGC and other statutory bodies concerned, and taking into account the reservation policy of the State Government from time to time.
The admission procedures could be completed by the Departmental Selection Committee of the University departments/ Affiliated College admission committee/research Institution committee, provided the following guidelines are adopted:
The Department Selection Committee should be constituted by the Head of the Department with two recognized guides in the department with the proposed guide (a minimum of three members should be in the committee) as convener.
University of Madras PhD Application Form 2019
Applicants shall register for the Ph.D. Degree Program in the University Departments, Affiliated Colleges, Research Institutions, or R & D Centres/Laboratories coming under these regulations in any one of the categories.
- Full-time scholar (with or without stipend or fellowship or any assistantship)
- Part-time scholar (teacher or non-teacher, internal vis-à-vis external)
The University shall maintain the list of all the Ph.D. registered students on its website www.unom.ac.in on the year-wise basis.
The list shall include the name of the registered applicant, the topic of his/her research, a name of his/her Supervisor/co-Supervisor, date of enrolment/registration.
- Applicant has to upload the photograph and signature in .jpeg format (image quality 200 dpi). The size of the photograph and signature must be between 10 kb to 40 kb and 10 kb to 30 kb respectively.
- The online application designed for the January 2019 session alone will be accepted and other applications will not be considered for admission under any circumstances.
- Applicants are informed to submit the Hard copy of the online Application form to the respective University Department / Affiliated College / Research Institution where the applicant is proposed to do their research work on or before 31st December 2018.
University of Madras PhD Admission 2019 Important Dates
- Applicants are to submitted their applications in the prescribed format on or before December 31st, 2018
- The online application designed for the January 2019 session